Design Wall Monday, October 9, 2023

Up on my design wall is Kauldron.  I am working on the cutting the background that will pull this project all together.  This is a 2022 UFO that will finish pretty soon.  It will be nice to get this one done and ready for Halloween 2024.  I had hoped it would be for this year, but realistically I do not see that happening.

I put the stem on Kianti.  I used three strands of embroidery floss in a chain stitch pattern as called out in the pattern.  I am not so sure it is thick enough for the size of the flower and leaves.  Might have to try this again with six strands.

This is the kit that came in the 2023 Spooky Box from Fat Quarter Quilt Shop.  I do like this one...it is already in work.  It will be ready for Halloween 2024 too.

I learned from Kerry a way to store embroidery floss that I though ingenious.  In the back you can see how I had been storing my collection of floss.  I had floss from Lilly, American Thread Company, Coats and Clark, and DMC.  This collection came mostly from my grandma and a bit from my mom.  My grandma was quite the cross stitcher in her day.  Anyway, today you can purchase plastic bags with a hole in the bottom corner and loop them through a key chain.  I sorted everything by color into several key chains.  When a project is started it is easy to identify if you have the design color and put all the project's floss on a separate key chain.  This allows for a portable way to keep the floss you are using right at your finger tips and store partially used threads in an organized manner.  There is also a white label to use a marker and pen in the color code if you wish.  My sorting is all done now and ready for the next cross stitch design that interests me.  I sure ended up with a lot of brown American Thread Company #1047.  I wonder what grandma had in mind...

Tomorrow is October Sunshine Quilt Guild monthly meeting.  I will be coordinating the October BOM and a scribe for the question to the members, "What was your best quilt-related gift?"  There are also challenges to sign up for since I missed the September meeting.  It will be a busy night for me for certain =^.^=

Take care friends and have a wonderful week.
 

1 comment:

Nancy J said...

I don't have any threads from my Mum or Gran, but a small tablecloth that my Mum embroidered, no doubt before they were married. So over 85 years ago. White linen fabric, that would be hard to find down here today, unless you pay a HUGE price for it at a speciality shop. Love that way to sort and find your threads.