Design Wall Monday, February 21, 2022

 

This is a smaller version of the Sunshine February BOM.  I made the units 2 1/2" cut versus 3 1/2".  It brought the size of the shamrock block down to 8" finished.  It is such an easy block to make so I made three with my scraps of course.  Added a complimentary setting (again all scraps) of 2 1/2" squares.  I tried adding pinwheels, also HSTs, but they were just too busy for the simple block.  So a simple pieced second border did the trick.  I'll be sewing this one together later tonight.


This one wasn't quite so easy...  I won six pumpkin blocks in Sunshine October BOM.  I made several more because the blocks are just 4 1/2 by 8 1/2"; six was not enough =^.^=  With some help from Mom and my sister over video chat a plan evolved.  Checkerboard around and in between the pumpkins.

As I started to make the checkerboard (units of orange and black at 1 3/4" unfinished) and put it on the Design Wall, it became clear that it was just too much!

This version came next.  All solid black sashing and the first border.  Followed up by the Checkerboard.  This version has good vibes at this point, but it might be nice to break up that black with something.

So I tried a Checkerboard as corner stones.  I'm thinking this isn't enough so an orange square instead?  I'm liking this...  I think it breaks things up a bit, don't you?  I had thought about a solid black last border, but I think that may be too much!

Anxious to get these projects done and move on to the Sweet Apple wall hanging before I tackle another UFO!  Hope you have a fulfilling week and Happy Presidents Day!




3 comments:

Marlene said...

Have you considered us a green cornerstone instead of the orange? Or maybe a thin inner border of green to bring out the pumpkin stems? I look forward to seeing your final decision.

kwiltnkats said...

Marlene - I'll play around with your idea. The stems are sort of lost in the black. Sandi

Janet O. said...

Fun to see shamrocks and pumpkins in one post! :)
I like what has evolved with your pumpkin blocks. I will be interested to see if you go with the orange cornerstones or the green.