My Visit to San Diego!

Hi ya’ll!
I thought it only fitting (and a bit fun) for me to post here from Sandi’s blog since I have been staying here at her house during my visit!
You would love her house --- I know I do! There are yummy quilts hung on tall walls, something quilty around every corner! And she has two of the most adorable Abyssinian cats I’ve ever met! They are inquisitive yet shy…
sandiego2011 036
Isn’t this little beast just gorgeous!? His name is Komotion--KoKo for short! Look at that coat! They are still pretty shy around me, but I know which one loves ice cream off the end of my finger!
sandiego2011 038 sandiego2011 039
This sweet little girl is named KAOS was so shy she was hiding up on the shelf in amongst the stereo equipment! Snuck in there and took her picture anyway!
We had a great adventure yesterday with the Whale Watching! We couldn’t have asked for better weather. And I lost count of the number of whales we saw after we hit 8….the only thing I’m bummed at is when I went to upload the little videos I did on my camera, I got “error” messages on them ALL Sad smile so I don’t know if it’s the software on my laptop that isn’t reading them, or if there was really an error. I’ll have to wait til I get home to see if I can get them to work from there.
We saw LOTS of playful dolphins…they are so fun to watch…speedy little demons, they love to play in the wake as we cruised…..I think they were my favorite!
We had some good gray whale sightings. It was amazing to watch for their blow spray and see their humps just above the waterline…you could kind of track their movement in the water, trying to anticipate where they would surface next for another breath. Fascinating!
skyline1
Gorgeous view of the skyline as we headed out of the bay and into open water!
lighthouse1
Can you see the lighthouse there on the tip of the peninsula? Such a lovely day!
tallship1
This picture turned out better than I hoped! I now have it set as my desktop background…tall ships sail so silently, and are wonderful to watch! I bet this is just what the view was in the harbor 150 years ago and before.
whalewatch1
windy and breezy, it was a great day for some sunglasses and a ponytail to keep whipping hair at bay!
The cruise lasted about 3 1/2 hours and by the time we got back to the dock, we were STARVING! So…..we walked up the road a bit to a place called The Fish Market. I had one thing on my mind…
fishtacos
FISH TACOS!! Oh, these were SO good bad! We sat out on the patio right up against the water and just enjoyed the view.
On our walk we also enjoyed such sights as:
flyboy1
Me, with a statue of a WWII Flyboy Red heart at the Bob Hope Monument!
flyboy2
More of the other statues….can you guess which one is me? LOL! And you can see part of the ship MIDWAY there in the water behind me.
thekiss1
And this statue “The Kiss” was my favorite of all! Who wouldn’t recognize this statue from the timeless WWII picture? It’s HUGE!! Again, you can see the tip of the Midway there to the right in the pic.
midway1
And here it is at the pier. It’s HUGE! There are all of those planes and helicopters on top. I can’t imagine what it would be like to live on an aircraft carrier for months at a time in open sea. I’d love to come back and actually tour it the next time I’m in the area ---which will be January 2012! Be ready for me, I’m coming back!
The guild meeting was terrific last night and I have to thank the Canyon Quilters for such a warm and wonderful welcome. I wish I had more time to spend here, but I’m being driven up to Ontario this morning to get set up for the Road to California Quilt Show which starts tomorrow! Whooooot!
And a special thanks to Sandi for taking this crazy quilter into her home and sharing her space with me! Hope to catch you next time over at MY blog, Quiltville!



27 comments:

Leah said...

Gorgeous cats, Sandi - very regal. Thanks for sharing Bonnie's visit on your blog.

deborah said...

So nice to stay in another quilter's home..especially one with cats!

Loris said...

What a wonderful, full day! Glad those dolphins showed up to add their fun personalities to the mix. Have not seen a single whale water spout yet in my 'neighborhood'. We usually see alot but the last couple of years have been slim.
Have a great time at "Road" :-)

Impera Magna said...

What beautiful felines... so elegant! Sounds like you're having big fun on your trip, Bonnie... safe travels!

Nancy said...

Hmmmmmm short sleeves and we have ice.... I'm officially jealous!

Looks like you are having a great time. Enjoy!

Quilter Kathy said...

How fun! Sounds like a fabulous trip!

Janet said...

Thank you! Sounds wonderful! I hope to go to San Diego in about 1 1/2 years. Lots of things to see on my list.

debbie m said...

Hey Sandi, How nice of you to share. You do have gorgeous cats, oh my. The look on your little girls face over having her hiding spot intruded upon is clear, how funny...for us.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I lived in San Diego from 1969 to 1973 and it was a gorgeous city back then ... thanks for the photos ... a trip down memory lane!

Mary said...

Nice views and I wish you safe travels today and fun ahead at Road to CA.

Heather said...

Beautiful cats Sandi and it sounds like you have a wonderful home! My husband was in San Diego last year and he went on the Midway and he really enjoyed it.

HRH Gigi said...

Welcome to town! The Oceanside Museum has a nice quilt display right now. You may be able to stop by on your way North. Enjoy!

sao said...

I enjoyed the blog, Bonnie, and am glad you had such a wonderful time in San Diego!

sao in Midlothian, VA

Helen said...

It seems San Diego is the place to be. It looks / sounds wonderful. And to be able to go whale watching, awesome. To top it of, great weather. Could a girl wish for more? You seem to have it all! Enjoy your trip and visit. Thanks for showing the way to this blog. Hi Sandi!

Marsha B said...

Looks like Sandi is a great hostess and you both had a wonderful visit in San Diego!

sewandsow said...

I am jealous....warm weather, good friends, food and quilting. It doesn't get better than that.

SubeeSews said...

Hi Sandi!
lucky you to have Our Bonnie in your own home and blog!
I was blessed to be the master of an Abyssinian kitty. I was not too original and named her Abbey. She was so nice but held a grudge against my husband until the day she passed away. He stepped on her when she was a kitten...just a bit of her toes...she never forgave him. They are one person kitties.
XOXOXO Subee

Marj said...

The cats are beautiful. The weather looks gorgeous and the company sounds perfect. Look forward to the BIG quilt show news. Sandi, your blog is fun I'll be back to visit.

JudyCinNC said...

Loved reading Bonnie's post on your blog site. You will need to do a special archive and maybe bronze the chair she sat in. Lol - Ask Subee about Bonnie's Dr. Pepper bottle - I bet she still has it. Love those cats. www.shadetreequilting.com and JC

regan said...

I just left a comment, but it disappeared! Hope this doesn't show up twice!

Anyway, looks like Bonnie had a great time in SD!

And I was just looking through your posts, found Dec.29, and wow! You've made some beautiful quilts! My particular favs are Karmel Colors, Katapillar and Kool! (Love the names you've given them all!) You chose just the right colors for each....they really set a mood! Love em!

Also love the background for your blog, I chose it, too! HA!

regan

Gloria said...

Thanks for sharing Sandi and Bonnie. Fish tacos are my favorite thing to eat on Ca. I just had some su. at Cabo Fish Taco in Charlotte and they were the best I've had outside of Ca. Gloria Bruce

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi,
It sounds like you had just as good a time as Bonnie did! Thanks for letting Bonnie post from your blog! Your cats are beautiful. One of my favorite breeds and their names are really clever.

Gail :)

Nancy said...

Bonnie makes San Diego sound like a marvelous place to visit, especially when it is winter back here in the East!

Betty said...

What a super blog that Bonnie wrote, she hit all the right places, weather, whales, food and your great hospility. My best to KOKO and KAOS !

rockinrobin said...

I really enjoyed seeing and meeting you last night at Canyon! Wish I had discovered you sooner! I am really looking forward to putting your scrap system to work to tame my own stash.

Robin from Quilt in a Day

Carol Sc said...

Hello from freezing, cold Michigan. My husband was stationed in San Diego forty some years ago --- we weren't married then, so I've not been there (did live for a while in Vallejo, CA) --- loved all the great pictures --- it looks very inviting.

CARMEN said...

Ams I live here, I somethimes foget how much fun it is, !! so glad you enjoy you stay, and thank you Sandi next year I can get you a "back lot tour" on the midway..
carmen taken care