Design Wall Monday, June 20, 2011

Today is the last day of my Mom's visit.  Not a happy day for me as we'll not see each other again until November.  We talk once or sometimes even twice a day on the telephone, but as you all know it's just not the same as being together.  We've had a wonderful time. 

Today we finished up the last of the projects she carried with her and one that was purchased while she was here.  I helped her with ideas to use up scraps (making a back using a bunch of blocks), how to use Tri-Recs rulers, and how to add the setting blocks/triangles/corners for an "on point" layout.  I think she'll go back to reading when she gets home as she's not quite used to the pace that I sew.

This first one is Scalloped Charm.  This was the project that was purchased here.  It has a nice bright pieced back that uses many of the colors that is in the quilt's center.  The turquoise sashing will be it's binding when the quilting is finished.  I believe this one goes to a local hospice that along with my Mom and several other quilters is hugely supported by Kathie's Quilting.

Next is a quilt top from a block swap that my Mom participates in from time to time.  This one was done a little over a year ago.  The idea was to submit 12 1/2" black, white, and bright blocks.  Here's where the how to came into play with the yellow blocks.  She had two blocks left after the top was assembled which found their place on the back; another pieced block back with primarily black and bright blocks. 

Here's Mom assembling the back.  Next we'll be putting away all her special sewing tools ready for her return flight.  She's got planned to give this one to the hospice group too I think.

She'll be busy with binding for several weeks!

Last but certainly not least...I pulled fabrics for Kourageous Larkspur.  My June UFO Challenge block with Patchwork Times.  It will use four fabrics for both the flowers and the stems/leaves.  I have the sections all cut and ready to start sewing Tuesday evening.  Just over a week before it's due. 

Canyon Quilt Guild meets tonight.  Pat Nikols is the guest speaker.  Mom and I will meet up with Jeanne, Kerry, and hopefully Joan for dinner before the meeting.  I'll let you know later this week what Pat Nikols has to say and show.

If you have time check out other fabulous quilters today at Patchwork Times.

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

Looks like you and your Mom have been very productive during her visit! I wouldn't be used to that pace either. : )

JudyCinNC said...

What a wonderful time you both have had. Doing what you love best with your best friend - your mother. Lots of nice finishes. Judy C in NC

Barb in Mi said...

Glad you are having a nice & productive time with your mom. Do you do skype - that's how i keep up with my family overseas... Phone by internet and free - works for me;-)

Tina Rathbone said...

Nice work, Sandi and Mom! I forgot that Canyon meets tonight, but I want to stay home and sew sew sew! As you can see I haven't been quite as productive as Mom after our retreat. My foot's just fine now, thanks to your quick and expert nursing! :)
Hugs,
Tina

kwiltnkats said...

I will be on my way back to Maryland early tomorrow morning. It has been an awesome visit. My daughter has waited on me hand and foot. I just mention something and zip she gets it. She is an excellent quilter, but not from me did she learn the art. Her grandmother was an advid quilter, it just skipped over me, however I am enjoying just being with her, time is just so short. Our love is so strong. Her DH just grins and bares it, I think that he belives we live in the sewing room. I will continue blogging from Maryland.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sounds like you had a great sew time with your mom!!

Nina Marie said...

I'm so jealous that you have such a good relationship with your mother - what a blessing!

Kathie said...

Love all the quilts especially the top one. I have never tried to put sashing and cornerstones on a quilt on point, maybe Betty can give me some tips on doing that. We will be glad to have her back in maryland but so glad you guys had such a super time.