Design Wall Monday, August 2, 2010

Here it is Monday once again. I was lucky to finish what I presented last Monday (Kotton Kandy Kocktail) so my design wall is with a new project. This one is a Timeless Treasures pattern called Blue Moon by Karen Montgomery. The pattern features the Tonga Batiks line in 12 different navys and white for the sashing. The main block which is 12 1/2" is sewn from four 21" x 3 1/2" strips. The sets are then cut into 3 1/2" units and lastly sewn into a 16-patch block. I'll be using my navy batik stash and instead of the white for the sashing I'll be using that light blue batik with the small design that runs above the navy strips. I think the sashing gives this design a lot of movement. It's hard to tell from the pattern picture on the design wall but the second sashing counting from the outside of the quilt uses the 3 1/2" units from the basic block. I like how the design also incorporates the 4-patch blocks. Best of all this 81" x 96" quilt will use a little over 9 yards of fabric for the top alone.

I've got all the strips cut in the various widths. Need to start sewing and sub cut the background strips. This one should go together fairly quickly. I'll get back with you on progress later this week. This project I'll call Karibbean.

Go to Judy's blog at www.patchworktimes.com and see what everyone else is up to this Design Wall Monday.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I will be looking forward to the next post of this project. Photo is very dark, but it will pop out in the next step. Great job.

Kathie said...

I usually don't care for two color quilts but with all these beautiful blues I bet it will be great.