Design Wall Monday, July 9, 2012


Nothing on a "wall" but plenty on my sewing table.  Since I have already finished my July UFO Challenge there is time to work on another that hasn't yet been selected.  Kaktus will take some time to assemble because it has lots of flying geese units...622 in total.  I decided to tackle them five at a time with the paper piecing technique.  With just a few hours of sewing I have 80 of them done.  The fabrics are mostly from a jelly roll, Wildflower Serenade by Kansas Troubles, gifted to me a couple of years back from my Mom.  I did add a few neutral fabrics since the jelly roll didn't have many neutrals.  I will need to find yardage for the beige that's pictured before too long so that I can include some of it in the flying geese.


I am also working on my part of the San Diego Humane Society's 26th Annual Fur Ball donation that Kerry and I give them each year for their silent auction on event day.  I'll be making the paw and bone blocks.  Pictured are the fabrics I'll be using.  The event is August 25th; we'll be working to get this in their hands not later than the middle of August.  The theme of the 26th Annual Gala is Polynesian Pawradise.  If you want more information you can contact them at furball@sdhumane.org.


Kerry's Quilting surprised me yesterday with Kokonut No! done.  I trimmed it down on Sunday.  Next up binding, sleeve, and label preparation.  Kokonut No! was my January UFO Challenge.

All Crabapple Swap blocks are ready for pick up.  There is so much variety in the fabrics of the 9-patches.  I think everyone will be as happy with their blocks as I am.  This project by Bonnie Hunter will be on my sewing table real soon.

Glad that you found time to stop by.  Love to hear what you think of my projects.  There are lots of other projects going on around the globe.  If you have time check some of the 100 or so that participate each week via Patchwork Times (link on my side bar).

7 comments:

Betty said...

Your Kokonuts No is really nice. That was a nice surprise. 622 flying geese, ugh! that is a lot of birds in the air! Don't let them get above your head.

Teresa said...

beautiful. I have not tried paper piecing flying geese, I bet it really helps keep them straight.

Gari in AL said...

The dog fabrics are wonderful. I did one for my granddog a few years back and really had fun with it. And I love your Kokonuts No. It is different and looks like a lot of orange: both things I really like.

Vicki H. said...

So many pretty quilts and I love the pineapple pictured. You have lots of great projects going too.

Janet O. said...

Oh, wow. Kaktus is ambitious! But then everything you tackle seems to be so. It will look beautiful in the KT fabrics. Kokonut No turned out great--it just glows!

~Kris~ said...

Love the Kokonuts. Really bright and fun.

Kate said...

Congrats on getting your July UFO challenge done. I just finished the 144 flying geese for Judy's Sofa Quilt project and that was more than enough. I can't imagine making 622! Love your fabric choices for the Humane Society quilt and your Kokonut No quilt.