UFO Completion, March 24, 2017

Kourageous
March 2017 UFO
39" x 39"
2,293 pieces
I am so excited with this finish.  It has been many years in the designing.  Before that, many years in my bucket list.  Again it became many years in the designing.  This project was started back in 2009 when I thought how cool it would be to make exotic flowers out of animal skin theme fabrics.  Then the hunt started for both fabrics and foundation pieced patterns.  Two designers came up with the flower patterns and countless quilt shops had the fabrics.  In 2011 I made the making of the flowers a UFO project.  One flower was made each month of the year.  Challenge met!

From there it sat for how to arrange the blocks into a setting.  My friend Shelly came up with the setting block idea.  It was ready for my 2017 UFO project list.  This month it was called to complete...Kourageous was finally going to be a reality.  Fabric choice for the setting blocks and border #2 were a big consideration because I wanted to keep the flowers the focus.  After all when each block had an average of 100 pieces emphasis to them was foremost.  As Janet O commented the setting blocks have a glow to them...  Perfect I accomplished my idea =^.^=

The flower, designer, 2011 UFO month, and how many pieces.


Lily by Linda Causee, UFO #6 January, 146 pieces
Cranesbill by Claudia Hasenbach, UFO #10 February, 82 pieces
Bellflower by Claudia Hasenbach, UFO #1 March, 81 pieces
Meadow Clary by Claudia Hasenbach, UFO #4 April, 99 pieces
Lily of the Valley by Linda Causee, UFO #9 May, 150 pieces
Larkspur by Linda Causee, UFO #8 June, 188 pieces
Flax by Claudia Hasenbach, UFO #2 July, 74 pieces
Iris by Linda Causee, UFO #7 August, 169 pieces
Pansy by Linda Causee, UFO #11 September, 232 pieces
Meadow Buttercup by Claudia Hasenbach, UFO #5 October, 89 pieces
Heartsease by Claudia Hasenbach, UFO #3 November, 61 pieces
Violets by Linda Causee, UFO #12 December, 169 pieces

The setting block is Wild Goose Chase and it has 57 pieces.  It sure was delightful to have the last three borders be solid pieces!  I have enough of the black animal theme background to use for the binding or maybe it will be just a solid black.  It is off for quilting tomorrow.  Kerry will come up with something grand I am positive.  

6 comments:

AnnetteJ said...

It's just lovely...And well named as well😊

Shelly said...

Gorgeous!

Janet O. said...

I started following blogs in 2011 and I well remember you making these blocks. They fascinated me then, and they still do!
It is gorgeous--and I don't envy Kerry the task of finding the perfect quilting for it! :)

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on a finish a long time in the making - love the setting blocks and the simple border.

Lynette said...

This turned out beautiful!! I love the way the flowers glow prominently, and the geese glow on "low-light" effect. It's really neat.

Claudia said...

I love your quilt, it's beautiful! I was fascinated from the flowers in animal skin fabrics so many years before and it's great how everything turned out in the finished quilt. Wonderful work!
Happy quilting from Germany
Claudia