Design Wall Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day.  Thanks to those who have made it possible for me to live in freedom.



Koriander Kompass is coming right along.  (Pattern information can be seen here, it is #8.) I had a full day of sewing on Sunday.  As a result I was able to finish three of the nine compass blocks.  They aren't too hard to assemble, but they do take a bit of time.  I decided that it was necessary to square up the small HSTs that I had made earlier in the week.  They just were not going together well.  This project is pretty terrific so I did not want to try to botch it up and end with something I would not be happy with the results.  I also thought I would spend my Sunday on border units...so much for that!  Still a full day getting these three together.  I did make one decision once the compasses were together.  The centers matching the large point units does not work.  They just do not stand out that much; too matchy.  The middle triangles are not large enough to provide separation.  What seems to look best is to pull in either the small points or one of the two outside ring fabrics.  

Today I plan to work on assembling more compasses.  Part of the reason it takes so long is the pulling of the foundation paper.  Sewing the background to the compass has been much easier than I had originally thought.  I will need to assemble more of the smaller HSTs for each block.  Each one is trimmed down to 2" (finishing at 1.5").  Maybe I will get a few of the border units done along the way.


If you want to see more inspiration today there are other Design Walls to view through the links at Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

Grit said...

This looks so fantastic.
Greetings from Germany

Julie in GA said...

Your compasses look fabulous--I love them!

Janet O. said...

Stunning, Sandi. The borders enhance it beautifully!
I think you are right about the centers.

Betty said...

wow, the compasses are so bright and airy. Love the progress you are making, it will be another beautiful quilt.

Kerry's Quilting said...

Wow-Looking really great. Can't wait to see it in person.