Design Wall Monday, May 20, 2013

Kushy Kourt 98" x 99"

I finished with the binding yesterday afternoon.  I just love the way Kushy Kourt (Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street) turned out.  I made mine with Bonnie's suggested colors...it was the 2012 Mystery.  When I'm using this much fabric I don't stray too far away from the suggestion.  I did change up the suggested border to one that is pieced.  The corners were a bit tricky, but I believe I pulled it off nicely.  Tonight is Canyon Quilt Guilds May meeting where I plan to share it during Show and Tell.

I just finished compass seven of Koriander Kompass.  I moved everything around on the design wall so it had a chance of fitting.  Any ideas on the center circle fabric would be appreciated.  I'm not sure if it should blend in or be more pronounced.  The pattern by Brenda Henning (Spice Island Compass) shows it as being a dark fabric.  I haven't spent much time on the border up to this point.  What you see started was only to test the background.

There are lots of other quilters showing their Design Walls today through the links at Patchwork Times.

7 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congratulations on your finish! Easy Street seems to be one of those quilts that looks good in just about any fabric. I really love your border choice!

Center fabrics - bright or blend, I don't think you could go wrong.

Janet O. said...

Congrats on your Easy Street finish! I think I have 9 blocks made. Eventually it will get finished. : )
I think I already told you this in an email, but I really like the way the centers you have in a couple of the blocks are contrasting from the fabric around them, so whether that needs to be dark or bright, each compass would be unique, but the fact that it contrasts would be consistent. Just a thought.

Kerry's Quilting said...

Wow Sandi, I really love those compass blocks. The background fabric looks great. Looking forward to seeing you later this week!

Chris said...

Yay on your finish!!! I love the compass quilt.

~Kris~ said...

Each one of your compass blocks is more striking than the next. It is so fun to see it develop.

bets said...

Hi! Found your blog because I was doing a search on the Niemeyer Briar Patch quilt (your Kurry). Waiting for you to choose that one to work on! :) I'm piecing the arcs now...first time doing a Niemeyer pattern, and it is going ok.

As for the compasses...I like in one of the photos where you have the center the same color as the medium sized outer point.

Happy Quilting

Unknown said...

Congrats on kushy kourt! Background on the points look lighter than the surrounding background. Soooo, how about dark background...the brights look really awesome. Sorry not to have a decisive suggestion.case