Design Wall Monday, November 12, 2012


It was a nice day to be sitting inside sewing today.  It was bright and clear and COLD...for San Diego that is!  Thought I'd show you how to make a layered log cabin block.  You start with 2 1/2" strips that have the long side pressed down at least 1/4" in a curvy motion.  This doesn't sound too easy if you've not done it, but trust me it really is.  Next you start building in a counter clockwise direction around a 2 1/2" square with a 1/8" top stitch.


After going around with 12 strips (6 light and 6 dark) you've got a block.  There is no particular width of each "log".  You just find what looks good to you and go for it. 


Here's a photo of the finished block front (above) and back (below). 


Next you arrange the blocks to your liking.  I've got mine in a diagonal pattern, but a barn raising pattern looks nice too.


Next you layer the blocks in a row on top of each other in the same way as you made the blocks.  Pressing under one side, layering over the next block and top stitching it down.


Once you have the blocks sewn into rows you do it all again putting the rows together. 


Here's where I am right now adding some fancy triangles on the border with steam a seam.  I'll be continuing to press under 1/4" making it curvy and top stitch it down.  Right border first and sew counter clockwise.  Only the right and top will have the triangles.  The pattern suggests beads or sequences in the triangles and more triangles on the logs.  Not sure beyond what you see how far I'll go with this.  This is a Karen Eckmeier pattern in her Layered Waves book.  It's good to have this project nearly done after 11 months from having taken a workshop where I started this project.

Krayons

See other quilters displaying their design walls via Patchwork Times.



3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Interesting technique. I've never seen anything like it.
You are right--it does sound hard to press the fabric in a curve.
Your piece is very fun. Of course, I love the fabrics you chose--batiks and black are a favorite combo of mine.

sophie said...

I saw a cool curvy log-cabin quilt at a local quilt show and wondered if it was made as you described the technique. I loved it. Here's a link to my photo, if you want to check it out: Wonky Log Cabin Quilt.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh I love it!!! Thanks for sharing this method - I've got to try it soon so I don't forget it :*)