Thursday, August 12, 2010

Monday and Tuesday this week were spent hand sewing down the binding on Krossroads


Krossroads is a huge quilt from a Glad Creations pattern called Promised Land. I did a little sewing of Block 1 of three different blocks in this week's project, Katching Kisses. The pattern directions are written well, but I've really had to pay attention to them. I've done the suggested "organization" of the pieces for Block 1 and made a little bit of progress through the first three of ten pieces in this "frame style" block. I'm a big fan of assembly piecing. I do like what I'm seeing so far, but there is much much more to do before I'll know if it all works. I had a little bit of time to work on a future project that I've yet to name...


Oh a little bit about my project naming...you might have noticed that they start with a "K" 99.9% of the time. A few years ago I just started doing it. I use any word that either starts with a "K" or when converted from a "C" or "Q" can be pronounced as a "K". This can be a challenge as you can (kan!) figure out, but it's fun for me and my circle (doesn't work with this c!) of friends to help me with. I lots of times try to pull from the pattern's name, thread or fabric color, sometimes even the quilting (kwilting did you catch this one?) design that will be used. Sort of like owners do with their race horses. One of my favorites which always gets a chuckle is Kraps. Kraps is the result of a Round Robin Challenge and a 2009 UFO with my Canyon Quilt Guild family that features two applique dice in the center with borders in game themes...back to the future project; you with me still?...





I've selected the background and backing fabrics from my stash already. A creamy light beige sort of lacy looking cotton for the background and a beautiful teal/blue lightly floral batik for the backing. I thought I had chosen most of the fabrics for the top, but have decided although I have enough FQs to accomplish it, the grouping lacks contrast. I had two identical eight piece FQ kits in teals and light blue selected--yes they are scrumptious--just love teals, but will need to dig into my stash for something that will work better. I may even change the backing and go to a totally different color way. Maybe orange/red/yellow instead of teal/blue/green... I did cut the background fabric since I'm certain this project will be continued when the stash is right! The pattern is featured on the cover of Quiltmaker's Jul/Aug 10 issue.


Tonight it's back to Katching Kisses unless the next Damages DVD arrives!

You can see any of my finished projects on my website. Enjoy the rest of your week.

4 comments:

betty said...

I like and I am glad you told everyone about you naming all your quilts with K (c,k,q). It is indeed a challenge.

Kathie said...

I rarely name quilts because I just don't have a good enough imagination, your using Ks all the time is cute.

Your upcoming project sounds cute, I love teal.

kwiltnkats said...

I got in the habit of naming my quilts because to have one is part of the requirements for entering into quilt shows and when publishing. I learned of this in a rush to get a quilt to Quiltmaker--had my britches down in many areas. Another requirement was to have a sleeve. I've made it routine to name each quilt and attach a sleeve. I may be caught with my britches down, but at least they won't get past my knees!

betty said...

I've always told you not to get caught with your britches down, lol, you haven't lost them yet. Nice article.