Design Wall Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

Hope that you find time and desire to enjoy a fireworks display today.  We have friends and their three children coming over for the traditional cook out.  We'll be having hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob and who knows what else.  We can see the fireworks display at two different locations and hear it loud from one of these two.  Of course our big screen and stereo will be showing/playing one of the big celebrations...just in case getting it live isn't enough!


I have all 42 of the Hawk's Nest Blocks done.  Next is to add the setting triangles.  These are all cut out need to take the "nests" to the floor to figure out color placement with the triangles.  (The blue you see at the top of each "nest" is painters tape, not part of the fabric.)
After the setting triangles comes the "Extreme" pieced border (the exact words from Bonnie's pattern) which is made up of 1 1/2" HST like what was used in the "nests", but a considerable amount more...438 of these.  Bonnie says that you don't have to make them all at once, but hey...I'm excited...I'll be speed piecing later this afternoon like there is no tomorrow.

This Bonnie Hunter pattern is available in her Scraps and Shirttails II book.  Her third book and definitely my favorite so far.

Check out other design walls today on the 4th of July at Patchwork Times.

6 comments:

AnnieO said...

Bonnie has great designs--love your colorway here! She does like to have a bazillion pieces in her patterns but you are apparently undaunted :) Have a great 4th!

Barb in Mi said...

Beautiful Hawk's Nest! And daunting reading about the border HST's. Happy speed sewing!

Kathie said...

Love the blocks but I know I wouldn't tackle a border like that. Happy sewing, you will be at it awhile to make all of those.

sophie said...

Your blocks are amazing. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. I am really missing fireworks this you--there's a ban here because of the fire danger. I hope yours are spectacular.

Janet O. said...

Love this quilt! You have convinced me that I need the third book. But I do tend to tame down the borders. I admire your determination to see it through to the end!
No fireworks for me on the 4th. I was in a motel room in Montana. Up north it gets dark late--they don't start until close to 11:00 p.m., and we had an early start in the morning to get my son back to work at midday today. I did, however see them on Canada Day (July 1st) from our motel there. They were shooting them off not far from the motel and the management put chairs out on their lawn for people to come see. There were three rooms of people from my family at that motel and I was the only one of that group who went out and watched. I met some very nice Canadians!

Betty said...

The blocks are great, and now for you "itty" borders, lol, you will have it done in no time.
Lovely quilt.