Texture Magic Demo, May 18, 2011

This is a fun product.  I learned of it through a few different sources and thought it would be fun to use sometime. 

Well that time came with my Kovers project.  Kovers has an applique center that has berries in the design.  I was a participant at the Lakeside Mystery II workshop at Road to California in January with Cathy Farris.  Cathy used the product and well that's why I decided to give it a try for Kovers
I'll walk you through the steps I took; it is very simple...don't let the end result scare you off!  Texture Magic comes in a couple of sizes.  It  "shrinks" in size about 30% in all directions.  There is a conversion chart included that guides you through how large of a piece you need to start with to finish at the size you need for your project.




The first thing you will need to do is determine the size of piece you will need.  Next mark stitching lines on either side of the Texture Magic product.  You can eliminate this step if you don't need markings.  Pin the product to the WRONG side of your fabric.  You can add batting between the two layers for some extra loft if you want.  The stitches pretty much disappear so I used thread that nearly matched the fabric.  Stitch the layers together. 



Now take the finished piece to your ironing board and using a steam iron apply steam to the fabric side.  (You can also use a steamer; if you do the manufacturer suggest steaming directly on the product side.)  You'll be surprised how fast it "shrinks". 

Now get your pattern and mark on the Texture Magic side the shape you need.  Cut out your shapes and apply to your project.



I used a satin stitch to apply my finished piece to my project so I did not need to allow for a seam allowance to turn under.  Kovers is in Kerry's Quilting queue now.  I'll be using a gray thread for the custom stitching planned for it.  Texture Magic by Superior Threads gave me a nice result for Kovers.  Give it a try sometime.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I love Superior Threads. Bob is awesome to take seminars from. Thank you for the quick tutorial, I've been wanting to try this product for so long, and now I think I will.

by the way: I'm doing the Mystery Quilt Along over at Quilters Club of America with you :)

Betty said...

Sure going to look into this. Looks awesome.

JudyCinNC said...

I love the tutorial - good for you in trying this product. Judy C

Janet O. said...

I have never seen this product, but what a beautiful texture it will add to a project. Keep us up on how the block will turn out. You've won me over--I'm a follower!