Wednesday, September 29, 2010

So far this week I've been working on cutting and marking the components of Step 2 for Kollette. Kaos has gotten in on the action too; trying to figure out how she can help mark the background squares! I just love this Creative Grids ruler, so handy the perfect size 2 1/2" by 6 1/2", for most of the pieces I end up working with in many of my quilting projects. The Sewline pencil is my favorite marking tool. It has several different leads available to mark any color fabric.So a couple of tricks I've learned on my quilting journey. Using the usually discarded tips of the flying geese units. Draw a second line 3/8" away from the center line. Next, sew on both lines. Finally, cut between the two sewn lines. You'll have the flying geese units PLUS a HST to use for something else that comes along. The other trick is cutting the dog ears off the HST before you open and press. Notice how they are cut? Hard to explain but you want to snip the tips at a 90' angle; see the still folded HST on the bottom. If you want to know more leave me a comment and I'll put some close ups on a future blog post.I got a comment on my Monday Design Wall post about the name of Kollette's pattern. It's called As the Geese Fly by Cozy Quilt Designs 2008. If you are interested contact Cozy Quilt Shop.

I'll be working on Kollette the rest of this week and then I'll be changing directions to sneak in a Halloween project from Sep/Oct 2009 Quiltmaker called Any Witch Way. It will be fun working Kreepy with my Mom!

3 comments:

Kathie said...

I still don't know how you manage to get so much done in a week, send some of your energy this way.

Betty said...

I did a post to the above, however, I don't see it listed? Sure don't know why? Using a PC is very challenging to me.

Tiffaney said...

I love the As the Geese Fly quilt. I just finished a top of it myself last month. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.