Design Wall Monday, August 4, 2014


I was in pieces with Kings (my August UFO) on Saturday evening.  Now I'm on the design wall!  I think I'll stay small with this project.  I used bonus triangles from a quilt that I finished a few years back.  They are the neutral/black HSTs.  Playing With Jacks is a Bonnie Hunter design that is FREE on her website.  Her project suggests a 2 1/2" HST, but mine are 2" instead.  



 There are several different suggested layouts.  Above is her cover layout.  Let's call it #1.

This layout is more contemporary according to Bonnie.  It is block to block in zig zag waves.  Layout #2.

This layout has four blocks rotted to form a star.  You add sashing and cornerstones (which aren't there in this photo) between each four-block star.  I'd use a single black fabric for the cornerstones.  You can also do this around single blocks.  Let's call this layout #3).

Do you have a particular favorite?  More interesting projects to admire today through the links at Patchwork Times.

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Call me a traditionalist, but I love that first layout the most. And the variety of fabrics within each color group gives this quilt such visual interest--lots of depth and sparkle!

Betty said...

Well, isn't that a challenge? I like #1, #2 is okay, but makes it like a waving flag. Don't care too much for #3. I am sure as you go along opinions will change, sure do like the colors.

Joy D. said...

I agree with Janet that #1 is my favorite. I'm not a fan of the chevrons in #2. #3 is ok, but I don't like the way the sashing breaks it up. But, if you combine some of the x's with what appears to be an "o" in the top left corner of #1, and made it more of a tic-tac-toe board, the sashing might appeal to me. Then you could call it Kuddles and Kisses! Happy Quilting, and thanks for today's inspiration.

Jennifer said...

I would choose 1 or 3, with a slight preference to 1. They all look lovely and will give the finished quilt a different look!

Ramona said...

Layout #1 is very striking! Working with HST's is one of my favorite things in quilting. So many possibilities!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What fun to have so many options! I like them all!!