Design Wall Monday, August 3, 2020


Fit to Frame is 2019 UFO #12.  This is my seventh block of 12.  There are five more for me to stitch.  I have been using needle turn method for the applique on this project.  The project started as a convenient one to travel from West to East coast simply because it is small.  I do think with the change in more stay at home time this year...there is a very good chance it will finish in 2020!
This is what it looked like before the ring was appliqued in place.  With the help of Kerry the selection of fabrics worked out nicely.  My applique is far from perfect, but practice makes perfect =^.^=
The ring is a bit off its mark, but not too bad.  I will be prepping the next block sometime later this week.  Selecting the right fabrics and colors can be just as challenging as the stitching.
This is the next project to sew.  It is necessary to take a break from applique.  Another 2019 UFO, #7 Starry, Starry Nines.  It is the project on the cover top left.  Those Halloween themed fabric squares at their smallest are 1" unfinished.  Tiny work with this project by Pam Buda.
At the same time as I work to get the delinquent 2019 UFOs done, I am trying to work the 2020 UFOs too.  That's what this one is #6 Sugar Sand Beach by Atkinson Designs.  I picked up this pattern at Road to California earlier this year and was thrilled to learn that in my possession already is the speciality ruler needed for this project.  These fabrics were all gifted to me.  My Mom through her guild provided the FREE Table white and the jelly roll is just 1 1/2" not the usual 2 1/2".
I will skinny down the design from 2 1/2" strips to the 1 1/2" strips.  This will be a bit of a test as you go project.  The background (white) was to be cut to 1 1/2".  Yes, was, but because of the smaller jelly roll size it is now just 3/4".  No not krazy!

Hope everyone has a great week ahead.

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

I admire that you are willing to do the prep work for the applique. I think that is one of the big drawbacks that keeps me from applique--I am too lazy for all the prep work. LOL
I love Starry, Starry Nines. I might even have that pattern tucked away somewhere. So you are doing yours in Halloween fabrics? That will be fun.
Sugar Sand Beach is a fascinating design. Yes, 3/4" cuts are crazy! I know because I do them so often. :)