Thursday, September 27, 2012

Get ready...get set...get retreat ready!

Wednesday evening...eek...had to get lots of stuff ready...retreat starts today.  I will be on my way there around 2pm.  So not only did I finish getting Krayons sew ready.  I made a streusel for the continental breakfast we'll be having each day through Sunday.  A stop by the grocery store for chicken chili ingredients (Saturday night's dinner that Bonnie and I are responsible for); along with other food and beverage items to share with the other retreaters.  Then the figuring out what to wear...just how hot will it get in Lakeside this weekend?  Remember the dental floss...hmm what else goes with the toiletries...do I need makeup?

Krayons started in a workshop that I took at Road to California Quilt Show in January this year.  It is the last of three projects I brought home from the show to finish.  It is a neat idea, something I hadn't tried before.  Taught by Karen Eckimer a way to create scrappy log cabin blocks by pressing under and top stitching the logs.  Next you sew the blocks and rows together in similar fashion.  Add a few fusible embellishments and voila!  I made seven blocks during the workshop.  I had brought a Bali Strip pack to use for the project, but as it turns out there wasn't enough contrast.  During lunch break I was shopping for more batiks.  The project has 30 blocks with loads of embellishments.  I don't know if I will make that many...I may just make my project a smaller version.  Not real certain this is a technique that I am wrapped around, but I did enjoy trying it.

Unhappy...time just ran out on me to finish putting Krayons together.  I pulled fabrics, but that is as far as I got.  Frankly, being realistic, I probably have enough to work on in my car already.  Well maybe I'll just put all the fabrics and what's started in my car anyway.  I do have the space...

Tonight I'll be sewing!

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

I've never seen that log cabin technique before. Very interesting! I love the batiks, as you might suspect. : )
Hope you are having a great time at retreat!!