Design Wall Monday, January 22, 2018

The two new projects from workshops at Road to California grace my design wall momentarily.  Kutarug remains all encompassing until its finish.  The blocks are the first two of several to make Magic Mariner's Compass by Janna Thomas (the Bloc-Loc Queen).  These blocks use the KIS and TIS rulers.  (Kite in a Square and Triangle in a Square.)  Kerry and I both used the 3" size for our projects.  I am using all scraps so as many blocks as can be made with the background is the plan.  The background is left over from my sister's quilt's backing that was made for her last year, Kloggs.  This workshop was on Wednesday.
Antique Rose Star was the Thursday workshop with Barbara Black.  Yardage requirements didn't suggest Charm Packs, but that is exactly what I did.  It worked out fairly well.  The class was for a 3" Marti Michell kite template OR you could make it with a 2" template...guess what Kerry and I used...
We used Barbara's template then scoured all the vendors trying to locate our own during our lunch break.  Can you believe out of the 225 vendors we couldn't find one?  The only downside to using Charm Packs is that you are limited in identical fabrics, but the upside is that the fabrics are similar which gives lots of movement.  Having two of the same Charm Packs works best.  I added in the plaids to move them from my stash!  Won't be able to continue this project until a template is in my sewing room, no worries though I have Kutarug to finish!  Not certain how large my project will end up, but the technique was fun and the making not difficult.
These two were a nice diversion to Kutarug!  Hope that you enjoy your week ahead.  I have a Cat Show to ready Kosmo and Katastrophy for a win!  Wish them a good adventure and ribbons galore!

4 comments:

Nancy J said...

love those compass blocks, the background is perfect with those fabrics.

Janet O. said...

Two very ambitious projects you brought home! Each one is going to be a stunning quilt--which seems to be your norm anyway.

Anonymous said...

Both blocks are beautiful. I am partial to the compass blocks, but love both!

Betty said...

I really like the compass blocks, the block stands out so well. I think you have a lot on your sewing table at this time. Wishing you luck to complete Kutarug so you can get on with your other projects.