Design Wall Monday, February 21, 2011

I look forward to this day--how about you?  Here's what is on my wall (and sewing table) today.


This is a completion of UFO #10 Kourageous Cranesbill block.  This is the second of 12 blocks that I'll be making using animal skin themed fabrics.  I'm excited about this project.  I've been thinking of it for several years and of course collecting the fabrics along the way.  This one uses several fabrics that a very nice classmate gifted me during my Bonnie Hunter Star Struck workshop at Road to California in January (she was using animal theme fabrics for her Star Struck project).  I don't remember your name :( but I'm oh so happy you found it possible to give me some of your stash! 

I'm really looking forward to the next number that will be pulled to complete in March with Judy's Patchwork Times 2011 UFO Challenge.  March 1, 2011 can't come soon enough!

Here's what I started with.  A picture of Mother Nature's Cranesbill, the pieced pattern that  Claudia Hasenbach designed, the fabric to pattern rendition of my crazy idea, and the finish. 
I did have one hiccup along the way.  Do you see it?
That darn blossom and background got switched around...I blame it on the looking up to keep track of the Daytona 500 NASCAR Race that was on the TV keeping me company...not that I'm crazy about NASCAR, but wasn't that finish spectacular?  What a way to finish your 20th birthday...!

This last photo is my 1st 2011 UFO Project with BAE Systems Quilters due the end of February.  With this Challenge I'll be completing five projects during the year; one every other month.   It's as a result of winning the December 2009 Block of the Month coordinated by Susan Mugg for our guild.  Proceeds will go to the BAE Charity Challenge Partner who is the USO this year.  We've not been very successful of late selling to our coworkers for this charity; so if it doesn't sell within a reasonable amount of time it will be donated to a local charity.  It is from a design published in Quilter's World, October 2009 publication called Geese in Flight in their "The Last Stitch" segment.

So what's going on in your neck of the woods...  See you back here soon.

Happy Quilting!

7 comments:

Cathy said...

I love your leopard flower. So beautiful. You are very talented. Hugs

Kathie said...

Really like your flower, very different. NO DON'T HURRY March, I still need to finish my February UFO.

JudyCinNC said...

Beautiful flower block - this is going to be so unique - gladly following your progress on this. Judy C www.shadetreequilting.com

Jo said...

Your flower is FUN....I am not a paper piecer girl so I especially admire other's work.

Betty said...

Must not be too bad of a slip up, I don't see anything wrong. Sure looks good though, never would have beleived it. That is an awesome flower.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow - those animal fabrics are great. I love the flower you made.

Debbie said...

That's quite an intricate paper piecing pattern! I'm really enjoying the UFO Challenge too.